National Course Code: SIT30821 || CRICOS Course Code: 109865A
52 Weeks - Full Time Study (including breaks)
Level 9, 120 Spencer Street, Melbourne VIC 3000.
The training kitchen location is at Kitchen 4, 79 Sunshine Road, West Footscray VIC 3012.
Written work, project, case study, logbook/ third party report and observations.
Work Placement Hours:
This qualification reflects the role of cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items. Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities.
Completion of this qualification contributes to recognition as a trade cook.
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes, and coffee shops.
The skills in this qualification must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards and industry codes of practice.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
- 18 years or older
- Satisfactorily completed year 11 or equivalent
- IELTS 5.5 or equivalent
- Access to a computer (with Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word and a web browser)
- Access to the Internet
- Access to a video and audio recording device
- Computer skills including an understanding of how to access an online video conferencing software, how to use Microsoft Word and Adobe Reader, and be able to download, scan and upload documents, and how to access online materials. (If you need any help regarding access to a computer and meeting the computer skill requirements, the college can provide support for you).
Applicants with no formal qualification and who are commencing within or have experience within the relevant industry may also be considered for entry into the course.
To be awarded this qualification, competency must be achieved with total of twenty-five (25) units, consisting of 20 core units and 5 elective units
- Unit Code
- Unit Title
- CORE UNITS
- Use food preparation equipment*
- Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery*
- Prepare appetisers and salads*
- Prepare stocks, sauces and soups*
- Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes***
- Prepare vegetarian and vegan dishes**
- Prepare poultry dishes**
- Prepare meat dishes**
- Prepare seafood dishes**
- Produce cakes, pastries and breads*
- Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements**
- Work effectively as a cook**^
- Clean kitchen premises and equipment*
- Plan and cost recipes
- Produce desserts*
- Use hygienic practices for food safety
- Participate in safe food handling practices
- Coach others in job skills
- Receive, store and maintain stock*
- Participate in safe work practices
- Unit Code
- Unit Title
- ELECTIVE UNITS
- Participate in sustainable work practices
- Prepare and present sandwiches*
- Produce and serve food for buffets**
- Prepare and serve cheese*
- Prepare specialised food items**
- Prerequisite unit(s)
- SITXFSA005 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITHCCC027 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
SITXFSA005 Use hygienic practices for food safety
^ will be assessed including during work placement
Elective units have been selected by the College in consultation with industry experts.
Training Product status: Current
Training Product Release Date: 10 June 2022
The modes of study include:
- Online and face-to-face training
- Practical training in commercial training kitchen
- Work placement
After achieving SIT30821 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, individuals could progress to SIT40521 Certificate IV in Kitchen Management.
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a cook in organisations such as
- Cafes and
- Coffee shops
- Tuition Fee = $15,000