Things to know before you arrive to Melbourne.
After you have successfully obtained the Australia student VISA to develop your educational opportunities. A variety of experiences await you and it’s quite natural to face them with a blend of both excitement and anxiety about the unknown. The challenge is to take full advantage of the opportunities presented to you. The benefits of being part of a multicultural student population and society in Australia will give you the chance to develop your knowledge and understanding of new cultures. Your time in Australia will be both challenging and rewarding.
Before you are ready to depart for Australia, make yourself comfortable by planning your initial days in Australia.
Given below is a suggestible checklist of items you should make yourself aware and carry.
- A valid passport and a printed copy of your current student visa
- A copy of Letter of Offer and written agreement from MCCA
- A copy of CoE provided by MCCA
- Health insurance details
- Original transcripts and/or Completion Certificates if you only have a Provisional Offer
- Receipts of payments already made to MCCA
- College full address and contact number
- Driver’s licence, national identification (ID) card, birth certificates etc..
- Prescriptions to support your use of any required medications
- Australian currency for the first few days, e.g. A$300 to A$500
- If you have organised accommodation and airport pick up please make a note of the driver number name and accommodation address
- A reference from your previous employer/s and your CV, if you plan to seek part-time employment after your course has commenced
- Photos of your family and friends as well as any items to make your new surroundings feel more comfortable and familiar
- Alarm clock, sewing kit, Bath towel, Calculator, home wear clothes, shoes, sport shoes, sandals/other casual footwear, Dictionary (Macquarie and Oxford are used in Australia), Hair-dryer, shaver (may need adaptor for 240 volts), Laptop or Tablet, Spare pair of spectacles and/or contact lenses and a current prescription, Toiletries, Trousers, shirts, t-shirts, shorts, undergarments and socks, Woollen jumper, jacket or coat, Swimwear, sports clothing and beach towel.
Student Visa Rules and Regulations
Your Australian Student Visa has a number of important rules that you need to adhere to while you study in Australia. Remember, it has been issued to you so that you can advance your educational qualifications. The key rules for international students to remember are:
- you are required to study full-time in Australia;
- you must attend at least 80 percent of all your scheduled classes to maintain a valid enrolment (education institutions are required by law to maintain attendance);
- you must advise the Department of Immigration And Citizenship of any change in your address in Australia, or any change in your student status, or any transfer to another educational institution or if you withdraw from the course that you are enrolled in;
- do not work more than 20 hours per week during your semester studies; and
- you must extend your student visa before it expires if you are intending to stay in Australia after that expiry date.
- Please remember that any breach of the Australian Student Visa conditions will result in its cancellation and your departure from Australia.